Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Green Potatoes

Do your potatoes ever turn green on you? It really bugged me that my potatoes sometimes turn green so I looked it up. I thought maybe there was something unnatural going on. Turns out, it's very natural! Potatoes turn green when they are exposed to light! That is the chlorophyll that is developing. BUT, it's NOT a healthy chlorophyll. It's got a chemical that is not good for you. So, don't eat the green. Cut it all out of the potato.

So, if you're not going to prepare your potatoes right away, keep them out of the light. If you can, store them in a dry, dark place, that's the best. 

At my house, I'm afraid that if they're not in my veggie basket I might forget about them and then they'd rot. So my big idea is to keep them in their same place only to cover them with a thick, dark dish towel.


Thanks so much to zabmo and morguefile.com for the perfect photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sometimes I go to blogs, type out a whole comment, and then think that maybe the blogger isn't really so interested in my comment. Well, I AM interested in anything you want to say. Comment away, add to the discussion, or post a *relevant* link even.