Sunday, June 19, 2011

Yummiest Smoothie Recipe

This is a refreshing, filling, healthy, raw, smoothie you can make with a blender. 

It takes a little bit of planning if you want it thick and frothy and cold because you need peeled, sliced (or broken up by hand) ripe bananas frozen in advance. I buy bananas in big bunches so that we can eat some and I always have a ready supply frozen in a big zipper baggie. Here's the recipe:

1/8-1/4 cup raw, shelled cashews or sunflower seeds per person (or serving) or a combo of both.
1-2 pitted Medjoul dates per serving
1 teaspoon of carob or cocoa powder per serving (when I make a full blender full, I use two heaping tablespoons)
water
frozen banana pieces

This is the part of the process that will get you the creamiest texture:

In the blender put the sunflower seeds with enough water to generously cover them. Blend on high for a bit. Add the dates and carob powder and blend again until there are not chunks of dates, probably less than a minute depending on the power of your blender. You can really use any kind of date. If you have hard dates, soak them first and use the soak water for the shake because it will be sweet. Adjust the amount of dates you use to make it sweeter if you like. They are so good for you anyway!

Slowly add the banana pieces, about 2 small bananas per serving. Adding the ingredients in this order has given me the smoothest of smoothies. This seems to really amaze people (even the chocolate lovers have loved the carob!).

I am using less cocoa powder since I saw the documentary "The Dark Side of Chocolate."
There is only one brand that I'm absolutely certain of as free trade and that's Holy Cacao which is a very small company (so far). Cocoa powder is very bitter. Carob powder is actually sweet in comparison.

To your health!
Let me know how you like this or if you do something different and love it.

Love,
Aunt Laya

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sometimes I go to blogs, type out a whole comment, and then think that maybe the blogger isn't really so interested in my comment. Well, I AM interested in anything you want to say. Comment away, add to the discussion, or post a *relevant* link even.